Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Weather Outside is Frightful & a Copycat OOTD

Well...here I am in Boston stuck inside AGAIN. We have had 60" of snow this winter already and this morning...yet another snowstorm is pounding the city. Streets are a mess, but worse is there is NO place to put the snow anymore. So today, I am staying home from work and practicing and updating some professional materials. Singing Purcell and Dowland while sipping some earl grey isn't bad, I suppose.

For Sunday's OOTD, I decided to copy Peggy from She Hath Done What She Could and pair my Mary Shirtdress with the Red Delicious Blouse. I saw it and I thought this was a brilliant pairing!!! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?! Peggy, I hope you don't mind me stealing from your style file :)



Dress: Anthropologie Mary Shirtdress with Anthropologie Red Delicious Blouse
Boots: Payless Marley Boots
Belt: Ann Taylor (Pre-historic)

My first job out of graduate school was the conductor's assistant and music librarian for the city ballet company. Being a musician, part of my job was to coach and conduct a girl's choir in the Nutcracker Snow Scene at Christmas time. Boston Ballet was one of the few companies to have a live choir during this ballet and the girls that were in the choir were actually girls that were also dancing in the ballet. They were not excited about singing, but they were sweet and did the best they could. This was the best job I ever had and if it wasn't for budget cuts, I'd probably still be working there.

I probably went to 70+ Nutcracker Performances in two years. I had fond memories of arranging the little choir in the pit with the orchestra (it was crowded down there with all the girls and the players!), but everytime I see snow outside, I think about this scene.



Here's what it really looks like...minus the awesome Tchaikovsky soundtrack...



It's a Nor'Eastah!!!! Happy Tuesday everyone!

13 comments:

  1. You look just adorable, Kay! I love that pairing - so sweet! That color combo is delightful! And oh my goodness, that snow is just frightful - we've gotten a little today, but nothing like that, girl! Stay safe!! And I love hearing about all of your jobs in the music world - that is so cool! Are there any videos of you singing anywhere? I love to hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Terrie...my folks live in MD, so I got the snow stories last year and I laughed at them. Now, Mother Nature is getting payback!

    Mandy, my website is super old and has crappy samples on it, but you can check it out if you like :) www.kynesha.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay you look great in this pairing!! How sweet of you to give me a shout out! I am flattered!! Look at that snow- wowzers! You better snuggle up and stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red checks peeping out from the sleeves is fantastic!

    I literally choked on my cuppa when I saw your snow pictures - the entire UK would grind to a halt if we ever got that much snow. I cannot believe people are brave enough to drive on the "roads"!!

    I'd love to see more snow pics Kay - it literally boggles my mind that life goes on when a few inches causes such chaos here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise, I can definitely post more pics. The storm we got today is tapering off, but the insane blizzard that's over Chicago right now is headed this way and will be here by the wee morning hours. My husband, a teacher, is already on his 5th snow day off the year which is very unusual. It's definitely crappy! The amount of snow we are getting is the top news story around here simply because we are running out of room to put it all with the street parking and everything. The pile of shoveled snow in the front yard of our house is nearly 8 feet tall. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! Oh, I am thoroughly sick of winter now..salt encrusted boots are just killing me. But the Mary looks awesome- I think I need to play with some colour layering with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also thought Peggy's styling was brilliant and it looks adorable on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is adorable over the apple shirt! Very creative styling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh Kay, I listened to *all* of your sound samples, and you have such an angelic voice! So gorgeous ... thank you for sharing your website with me! Just beautiful ... I'm in awe right now ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thatdamngreendress - The winter is killing me too. I haven't left the house in THREE DAYS. I'm going to go to work today...but I'm not excited about it.

    LC & Ady - She's a genius, right!?!?

    Mandy - That is one of the sweetest things anyone's ever said to me. Your check is in the mail :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peggy was really onto something with that combination. It looks great on both of you!!!

    We rec'd a ton of snow in Milwaukee, too. Ah, the joys of winter, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress is adorable over the apple shirt! Very creative styling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The red checks peeping out from the sleeves is fantastic!

    I literally choked on my cuppa when I saw your snow pictures - the entire UK would grind to a halt if we ever got that much snow. I cannot believe people are brave enough to drive on the "roads"!!

    I'd love to see more snow pics Kay - it literally boggles my mind that life goes on when a few inches causes such chaos here!

    ReplyDelete