Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reviewed: Two Maxi-Dresses and a Not-so-Maxi Dress

Good afternoon, Readers. I hope you all have been keeping warm. Truth be told, I've been away from my blog for a bit. I wear a uniform to work and I have not been dressing up because in New England, the weather has been brutal. A couple of days ago, it was in the single digits and it can't seem to stop snowing. We have had a storm every week for a while and we are running out of places to put the snow. I definitely have a little bit of the winter blues. I have been keeping up with other bloggers and seeing their cute outfits and I'm stuck wearing ugly snow boots and jeans. Driving in this muck isn't a picnic either. To top it all off, it's snowing again today and I will have to get to rehearsal in it. I think I will take public transit tonight, even though it will take much longer.

Anyway, I went to Anthro today to scope out the new arrivals. I also found a Peggy Sue Dress on the sale rack in my size and I am sick of waiting for a sale on the Laced With Grace Dress, so I grabbed it. I had been thinking about it ever since it went on sale and I regretted not picking it up because I so fell in love with it when I tried it on in the beginning of December. Plus, it's on my recital dress list since I booked a date in late April! I'm very excited! It's been a few years since I sang a solo recital and as soon as my lutenist ok's the date, we are on!

However, there are a few more dresses in contention now...





I have been eyeing this pretty ever since it appeared on the website after Christmas. I love everything about it, I love the color, the neckline...it's amazing. I had been scared to try it on. Honestly, it's way too long and it would need to be hemmed, but otherwise...it's turquoise perfection.

So, if you have tried on or own a Dreamy Drape Dress (aka Speckled Ink Dress), it is the same soft, drapey jersey. I will be perfectly honest with you and say that this dress is like singing A Capella. It will expose any bumps or imperfections on your body that you don't want highlighted. So, if you will be bothered by this, this dress is not for you and will frustrate you. I found the dress to be very flattering and with a price point that didn't scare me (*I'm looking at you Spinning Lace Dress*). Plus, this is a maxi dress that didn't seem to overwhelm me. A maxi dress is a tricky situation for a petite. I am only 5'1, but I didn't feel short in this. Wishlisted for further consideration.

Botanical Crossway Dress $188 Moulinette Soeurs




Not only was I surprised about how much I liked this once it was on, I was also shocked that it wasn't too long. I am very grateful that a petite size is offered which is 3.5" shorter. There was a lovely pouf of a dress beneath the bodice, but it felt light and airy...like summer. The bodice, which I got a close-up of on the last photo, is beautiful. It's well-fitted and seems like something that would be perfect for a Caribbean vacation. I don't know if it's right for the stage, since the pattern may be very distracting, but it's under consideration. I would pay full-price for this one and not feel bad about it. Well done, Moulinette Soeurs!




Eva Franco and I are not friends. She is always making cute dresses that don't fit me at all. The Mullany Dress just about broke my heart and now this. This is just a little too big. It's a cute idea and the fabric is gorgeous. The little belt is actually denim which is cute, but this dress is not for a little, little gal like me. Price point is high, wait for the sale. Pass for me!

I tried on a bunch of sale items on too, but only left with the Peggy Sue Dress because that's all that was left on my merchandise credit. I am still intrigued by the idea of the Laced with Grace Dress, but it has to go on sale for me to buy it. NO EXCEPTION.

Lastly, I'm putting the Closet Challenge on hold until Spring! Stay tuned until April when I'm ready to collect entries again!

15 comments:

  1. Wow! That turquoise dress look aMAZing on you! Seriously. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The maxi dress is a total dream on you! It really should be a top contender for your audition - you are beautiful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously - if there was a collection taken up to get that turquoise dress on you ASAP, I would donate! You look like a greek goddess...but one that's not even trying that hard! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woahhh, that first dress is freaking fantastic on you! You look SMASHING in it! Very very very nice...I hope you realize how good it looks on you :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kay, you look stunning in the Irresistible Maxi Dress!

    You might be interested to know that there's a black version of the D'Armee Dress at Dillard's on sale for $72. The link to the item is really long, but you can find by searching for "Parameter Zip-Placket Dress."

    Hope you stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The draping and color of the Irresistible dress are perfect on you. If you get it hemmed it would be amazing. Maxi dresses are so intimidating for me because I'm short, but now I want to try some on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks ladies! I wasn't expecting such cheers for the Tracy Reese Dress! Truth be told, I am totally in love with it and I think you ladies have convinced me that this is my concert dress for late April. I'll be performing Purcell and Dowland Lute Songs. We have a winner, I think! Stay tuned :)

    Val, thanks for the tip! I can totally justify $72.

    Mich, yes...the maxi dress on a short gal is always a little tricky. I found both of the dresses I tried on to be lovely and not overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you postponed the closet contest - I wanted to enter but didn't get a chance to! I can't wait to see the Peggy Sue Dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was worried about that bust on that Eva Franco dress. I'm glad I didn't try to buy it before seeing it. I can see that on my chest it would be just as wonky. I'd need to fix it, and probably straighten out the hem too (I don't really like handkerchief hems)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva Franco and I are not friend either. LoL. That turquoise is amazing on you. You look so tall!! Glad you're postponing the closet challenge... was sorry I missed it this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That blue dress is amazing on you! I've been eyeing it in store but keep chickening out because of the length. After seeing it on you, I'm totally trying it on next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Kay,
    I am just a reader who admires your closet reorg. Where did you get the hangers; I notice that they're all in the same color even for the skirt's. Thanks - Trang.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Kay,
    I am just a reader who admires your closet reorg. Where did you get the hangers; I notice that they're all in the same color even for the skirt's. Thanks - Trang.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay, you look stunning in the Irresistible Maxi Dress!

    You might be interested to know that there's a black version of the D'Armee Dress at Dillard's on sale for $72. The link to the item is really long, but you can find by searching for "Parameter Zip-Placket Dress."

    Hope you stay warm.

    ReplyDelete