Sunday, September 18, 2011

Of Nymphs, Fairies & Goddesses or why Early Opera is Way More Fun

As if it weren't fun enough to sing opera, it's even more fun to be a niche singer. Because all of our instruments are so different, there are some singers who do better in a niche - like me. Standard operas call for big, dramatic voices (there are some exceptions, but this is mostly true). As much as I love a good Puccini aria, I will never sing one in public. Why? I'm just not built for it. I've got a light voice and it would not sound appropriate in a role like this. Isn't this gorgeous? I mean, it's glorious and her voice is to die for. I bring this aria to an audition and I'm laughed all the way back to the Conservatory.

Written before 1800? I'm all over it! I've found that the early music people like my sound and I like the repertoire, so I decided to specialize a few years ago. And why not? Doesn't this look like fun!?!?

You HAVE to watch this one all the way through. (This is Les Indes Galants, "Les Sauvages". American Indian theme obviously. My dream role is to sing princess Zima. So fluffy and cute with a great aria in the end!) Rameau is one of my favorite French Baroque dudes and Patricia Petibon is the cutest soprano ever. (I swear she's part fairy.) Doesn't this make you want to go to an early opera right now?

Early Operas were fun!!!! They still have BALLETS, costumes were outrageously extravagant (the wigs!) and a lot of them were about gods and nymphs and stuff. This is where I get typecast usually: In my January project, I'm a fairy/fury/something little and probably is accompanied by a twinkle sound. Today I had a callback for a sort of god-like virtue who is a young boy. Pants Role. Always something cute. Do I care?! NO WAY! I LOVE these kinds of characters! Not all my gigs are fun, but staged opera gigs are where the fun is had. How often do you get to step into another character and make beautiful music? I am so grateful that I get to have this much fun in my life and call it "work" :)

Maybe I'm gushing because it's kind of fall and everything is starting up again, but I'm looking forward to a great season!

How about an outfit?



Dress: Anthro Nostalgic Asterisks Dress, Limited Cardi, J. Crew Scarf, Anthro Elk Camp Wedge Boots
Did you all enjoy our healthy shopping show on the Dereck and Kay Show last night? If you missed it, click to play the show on my sidebar! We did a two hour show JUST for you guys! Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I love how you made this dress fall-appropriate. Looks grest, fab outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh this is a beautiful outfit on you, Kay, down to the boots! And pants roles are AWESOME, in my personal opinion! I'm a fan of the earlier operas as well - you make the perfect argument for why they kick butt. Keep us posted! I live for posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that you pair your dresses with boots in the winter. I am a big boot wearing during the cold months, and if I remember correctly, so are you? I tuned in yesterday, great job :) I wanted to call in ( I hear Natasha!) but I am nursing a bad cough still. But I wanted you to know you have a west-coast listener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. carol_prettythingsSeptember 18, 2011 10:59 PM

    You look great in this outfit, Kay! I really love how you autumn-ized this dress. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rachel! It certainly does feel like fall around here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Mandy! Yeah, early opera is where it's at, man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I am a boot with dresses girl. It seems to be the only way to make it work sometimes. Thanks for tuning in! :)

    ReplyDelete