Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Making up for Lost Time in B-minor

It's January and I'm a teeny bit behind on my Audition Applications for 2011.

In the Boston Metropolitan Area, the Organization called Boston Singer's Resource has an annual regional audition for a panel of auditors who may or may not be able to offer you a gig, but you only get 4 minutes to sing. Since this audition is only once a year, the last time I did this audition I had come down with a bad cold and refused to cancel. I had made up my mind that I could sing through the sickness, even though I was sick enough to call out of my retail job that morning. I was so out of it, I drove all the way to the audition location and realized, I left my music at home! I drove ALL the way back to grab it and got there just in time. I sang pretty poorly and received scores and comments that reflected it. My self-confidence took a huge hit from it and I did not have enough chutzpah to sing it again in 2010. Even though I am having a hard season, I promised myself I would attempt it again...but not if I was sick, which is rare nowadays anyway. So...it was the first one I filled out.

For today's rehearsal, I pulled out my Lost Time Skirt. This sits in my closet and I always forget how cute it is until I put it on.
Skirt: Anthro Lost Time Skirt, Cardi: J.Crew Jackie Cardigan, Shoes: Bare Traps
 My hubs hasn't quite got a grasp on the camera yet and caught the very white couch arm in every photo. I was quite pleased to wear this skirt to the first rehearsal of the Bach B-minor Mass which I will be performing in March. I actually always love March because it's Bach's Birthday and that always means lots of Bach concerts! If you haven't guessed yet, Johann Sebastian Bach is my very favorite composer with Francis Poulenc being a close second.

I am so excited about this rehearsal process! All Bach all the time is a very awesome thing! Here is an aria from the end of the piece. The melody is so hauntingly beautiful. If you have never heard a Countertenor before, you're in for a treat. I know a lot of people get freaked out when men sing and it sounds like a "woman", but to my ear, a countertenor sounds nothing like a woman. He just sounds like a countertenor, like a viola and it's a beautiful sound. I LOVE Countertenors and Andreas Scholl is a pretty popular one right now:

9 comments:

  1. Very nice Kay! I am sure you did (or will?) do smashing :) Love the skirt on you, totally rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess! It's not until April, but I'm getting ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic outfit Kay, it's so lovely! I just listened to the music, and it is quite haunting, but also a little pretty. Enjoy the rehearsals Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you, I bet you'll do great! And of course you look fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Kay! I hope you do awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look wonderful Kay! And good luck with those auditions and applications! I am sure you will do great =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a darling skirt - it looks fantastic on you! I hope you totally hit it out of the park when you audition in April!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I love the yellow with this skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the compliments and words of encouragement, ladies! 2011 is do or die for my singing career!

    ReplyDelete